Decal Application & Tips
Decals are recommended for professional use, but can still be used at home as part of a DIY mani.
WATERSLIDE DECAL APPLICATION
WATCH MY WATERSLIDE DECAL APPLICATION VIDEOS HERE
Decals are best applied over a white base.
1. Select and cut out required decal.
2. Using tweezers dip the decal into water, leaving for around 10-20 seconds.
3. Gently slide the decal from the backing.
4. Carefully dab off the excess water from both sides of decal.
Want to apply a clear decal to a darker nail? Simply paint the underside of the decal with a thin layer of white gel polish to make the colours pop!
5. Apply decal to cured tacky layer (I find the best results over a cured base gel or foil transfer gel, as these are nice and tacky). Align the decal to the cuticle, ensuring a small gap to prevent lifting.
6. Leave the decal to sit on the nail for a minute or so before smoothing.
7. Gently smooth the sides of the decal. Do not apply too much pressure when smoothing or the integrity of the decal will be compromised.
8. If there is any excess decal at the sides/cuticle or tip use an acetone dipped brush to break it away.
9. Encapsulate the decal with another layer of base gel, builder gel or acrylic paying close attention to the sides and free edge.
10. Buff entire nail and top coat.
WATERSLIDE DECAL TROUBLESHOOTING & TIPS
MY DECAL IS SLIDING AROUND ON THE NAIL. HOW CAN I MAKE IT STICK EASIER?
For easiest application and to reduce the need to handle the decal, you should apply over a cured, high tack base coat.
MY DECAL IS SPLITTING WHEN I SMOOTH IT OUT, AM I BEING TOO HEAVY HANDED?
Using a high tack base coat (I recommend LUXA Base) before applying will reduce the need to over handle.
It is also best to cut to the rough shape required for the nail to help reduce the amount of smoothing.
I USED ACRYLIC TO SEAL THE DECAL BUT THE DESIGN HAS BLED. WHAT DID I DO WRONG?
The monomer used with acrylic powder will break the decal down. To encapsulate with acrylic ensure you are sealing the decal with a cured layer of gel before adding acrylic (a top coat will work fine).